Friday, June 15, 2018

Math Centers/Small Group: Ordering Numbers {Math Ladders}

At the beginning of the year, as I'm introducing centers, I find myself needing something to fall back on that most of my students should be able to do with little support from me. Throughout the year, I also feel like they need to revisit place value just to keep it fresh in their minds and most of them also need to extend that learning.

This Math Ladder series was created to be used throughout the year in a 4th/5th grade classroom. I teach 4th and use the lower sets (2-digit numbers) to reteach comparing numbers to my level 1 students in small group and then move them on to independent practice during their independent center time.

The level 4 & 5 students start the year with a quick small group review of the Thousands Period set with me and then gradually move to the Millions Period set over the next few weeks/months during independent time.

Once I've introduced decimals, I move the whole class to the Decimals set, but only those that show proficiency move to the later Decimal ladders.

One thing I also use during small group instruction - and keep on hand in my classroom - is grid paper. There are so many uses for it, but I find that this really helps students when working on comparing numbers.

FREE!!!


     

     

     



No comments:

Post a Comment