Saturday, August 30, 2014

4.NBT.1 - Place Value & Power

Whew! This week has been crazy. My kiddos have been hard at work learning about how a digit's place affects its value. I think in our minds we, as adults, know that the 3 in the tens place is worth 10 times as much as a 3 in the ones place, but getting my fourth graders to understand this has been grueling! Thanks to a couple of WONDERFUL resources (mainly Blair Turner's Interactive Notebook) my students finally got the idea!

My school uses a great website - www.MobyMax.com - free to teachers for a basic account. I assigned my kids this benchmark for homework and was able to check their progress around 10 pm (when I knew their homework should be done and they should be in bed). I saw that they were struggling with multiplying by 10 or 100 and multiples of 10 and 100. So, before we even made it to class the next day I had a set of task cards created, printed, and waiting for them. I've spent the weekend tweaking & adding to the set to add to my little store. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment